The Planning Department reviews proposed development for compliance with the Town’s General Plan and Zoning Ordinance and prepares long range planning and policy documents. The Department is also responsible for the updates on the General Plan elements; issues use permits, processes building related applications, CEQA studies, and Environmental Impact Reviews.
The Department provides support to the Planning Commission and City Council on development and land use matters, and coordinates with the Pathways, Environmental Design and Protection, and the Open Space Committees in the review of development permit applications.
For questions regarding the planning process and timeline for obtaining a Site Development Permit, please review the Site Development Process Road Map.
The Planning Counter will be CLOSED to the public for the holidays during the last two weeks of December as follows:
- Wednesday 12/23, Thursday 12/24, and Friday 12/25
- Thursday 12/30, and Friday 12/31
- The outdoor Planning Counter at Town Hall is OPEN 9:00 am to 11:00 am and 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. A planner is available to answer questions and review/accept applications for submittal during these hours.
- Construction projects are REQUIRED to comply with the County of Santa Clara’s (Mandatory Directive for Construction Projects (PDF). Failure to comply with this Directive will result in the cancellation of any inspections and potential issuance of a Stop Work Notice.
- For planning questions, to submit an application, or to schedule an appointment with a Planner, please call 650-941-7222 or email the Planning Department.
Updated Fee Schedule
An updated fee schedule for all Planning fees is now in effect.
Development Review Meetings
Fast Track & Site Development Hearings are held each week on Tuesday at 10:00 am. Upcoming meeting agendas and project information are posted to the Agenda Center and the Public Meeting Resources page.
Planning Commission Meetings are held on the first Thursday or each month at 6:00 pm. Meeting agendas, minutes and staff reports are posted on the Granicus Media Archive to view all current and past public hearing agendas and minutes.
Updated Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Requirements
Visit the Town’s Accessory Dwelling Unit Web Page to learn about the State’s and Town’s regulations that control the development of ADUs in the community.
The Town of Los Altos Hills Interactive Geographic Information System (GIS) map provides zoning and land use design ations, along with property information and our ongoing pathway system inventory. To locate a property, follow these steps:
- Click on "Search Parcel by Address"
- Type in name of street in "Street Name" search box
- Type in street number of address in "Street Number" search box or locate number in drop down list
- Click "Search" button, map will zoom to selected property
- Click on yellow highlighted parcel to view property information