Undergrounding Utilities in LAH
The Town currently has two on-going Undergrounding projects: the Underground Utility District in the Area Around the El Monte Fire Station, and the Underground Utility Feasibility Study.
PROJECT 1: Underground Utility District in the Area Around the El Monte Fire Station
At the June 2019 City Council Meeting, City Council approved the formation of an Underground Utility District (UUD) around the El Monte Fire Station. The location was chosen due to its proximity to the El Monte Fire Station and the importance of El Monte Road, Moody Road, and Elena Road as emergency evacuation routes. Amongst many other benefits, such as service reliability and aesthetics, undergrounding utilities in this area reduces the risk for delayed Fire Department response due to downed wires. Please see below a map of the district boundary:
In October 2020, the Town awarded the contract for professional consultant services to Bellecci & Associates. The project is currently in the early design phase. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions for the project can be found on the FAQs page:
FIRST COMMUNITY MEETING
The Project held its first community meeting on Tuesday, February 9th, 2021 at 6:00 PM. The meeting presentation, video recording, and answers to audience questions are posted below.
- Informational Flyer to the First Community Meeting
- Answers to Audience Questions
- Meeting Video Recording
CURRENT PROJECT SCHEDULE
- Design: Jan 2021 to Dec 2021
- Bid & Award: Dec 2021 to Mar 2022
- Construction: Mar 2022 to Mar 2023
PROJECT 2: Underground Utility Feasibility Study
- Overview of the overall system and condition assessment of the existing utilities infrastructure
- Develop design options for undergrounding of existing overhead utilities
- Outline the benefits and disadvantages of relocating overhead utilities underground
- Develop a preliminary plan design and estimate that defines the backbone and framework of the town-wide undergrounding program
- Identify potential cost allocation options and financing mechanisms available
- Other considerations and additional information that may be necessary to complete the Feasibility Study
The project was awarded in January 2021. Project information will be posted on this page as they become available.